Saturday 16 June 2012

The Nags Head, Knightsbridge

Note the hung up coats...!
Don't let the posh postcode (or lack of apostrophe) put you off, The Nags Head is a gem and is probably the one pub in the world that I fantasise about being my local. Sadly - unless my Lottery plan sees the light of day - I'll just have to make do with seeking it out every few months.

It is officially the cosiest pub I've ever been to. There, I said it. Roaring fireplaces? CHECK. Nooks and crannies? CHECK. Random paraphernalia filling every available square inch on the walls? CHECK.

Online reviews of the pub appear to be fiercely divided, especially when it comes to the food and service, but you can probably tell I'm firmly in the 'love' camp. If you're expecting fancy cuisine or a chair that doesn't wobble then this place isn't for you, but if you want to warm your cockles in a proper London free house, then look no further.

Cosy rating: 10/10 - just step inside and you'll see what I mean.

Secret rating: 7/10 - A gorgeous mews location. I've been there twice and both times got a seat with no problem, but never tried it on a Friday or Saturday night.
Best bit: The the first time I went there I witnessed an actual pub singalong, like off the telly. No piano, but led by a dapper-looking chap in his 70s who was very nifty with a pair of drumsticks and any surface he could find. Including our heads.
Worst bit: The pub has two strict rules. 1: You have to hang your coat up on one of the dozens of hooks dotted around. 2: Mobile phones are most definitely not allowed. I find these rules only add to the character, but I guess others might not agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment