Tuesday 10 July 2012

Swan & Edgar, Marylebone

43 Linhope Street, Marylebone, NW1 6HL
Is it a pub? Is it a restaurant? Is it a library? Who knows, but Swan & Edgar is an absolute gem and fellow book lovers will salivate over this little place before you've even stepped through the door - just look at the frontage above!

I discovered S&E one sunny afternoon while my friend and I had some time to kill before catching a train from Marylebone. Determined to take her somewhere fabulous I whipped out the Qype app (they're not paying me, honest!) and up it popped in the middle of a residential road. Perfect.


Now I didn't sample the food on my visit, and it seems to have not gone down especially well with
the critics, but I had a marvellous time sat outside on a sunny afternoon with a big glass of rose wine, gossiping with my friend. Inside is so small, but with books piled high all around you, pretty candles and friendly staff, it felt like I was inside a good novel that I didn't want to put down.

Cosy rating: 8/10 - candlelit at night with books piled high in the little room upstairs, which also has a fireplace for keeping the cold at bay.
Secret rating: 7/10 - I can't imagine you'd walk down this street, unless you were lucky enough to live there.
Best bits: Check out the scrabble tiled floor in the loos.
Worst bits: Ever so small, so do call ahead if you're making a special trip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment